The Morden Colliery is a remnant from the coal mining industry that operated in the Nanaimo area on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. Coal mining was started in about 1908 by the Pacific Coast Coal Mines Company. The Morden Colliery opened in 1912 with limited success, lasting only until 1921 with a brief reopening in 1930. What remains is the 72 foot head frame and tipple made of reinforced concrete, unusual as they were traditionally made with timbers. The mine is now flooded and is part of the Morden Colliery Historic Park and Regional Trail.
View from Davis Bay, BC looking over to Vancouver Island
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)